VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE PB&ME BURGER [RECIPE]
(Recipe inspired by and photos provided by Notey)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, peeled
- pinch salt
- pinch sugar
- water, as needed
- 2 burger patties (your favorite), cooked to your liking
- 4 tablespoons PB&Me
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 large wedge of iceberg lettuce, cleaned and shredded
- Spicy Kimchi Sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 fresh gluten free buns, toasted
- Caramelize the onion: cut the peeled onion in half, then slice to your desired thickness. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, stirring to coat. Cook on medium low heat. After 7-8 minutes, add salt and sugar, continue to cook, stirring every few minutes. Keep heat low, and add water as needed, to keep onions from drying out. Cook for 30 minutes or more, to a rich caramel color.
- Assemble burgers: spread Spicy Kimchi Sauce on toasted buns. Top with lettuce, then burger patty.
- Add two tablespoons peanut butter to each burger patty, top with a generous amount of caramelized onions.
- Add more lettuce, a few tablespoons mashed avocado, several tablespoons Spicy Kimchi Sauce.
- Place top bun, enjoy!